Monday, June 18, 2012

Confession: I Listen to Inappropriate Music

I love driving. I love listening to music. The ultimate joy for me is driving while listening to good music. This is probably really selfish of me, but I refuse to give this pleasure up. I hardly do anything just for me, so I just can’t let this one go.
And so I’m Rollin’ down the street, smokin’ endo, Sippin’ on gin and juice- Laid back with two kids in the back of my SUV. I actually really don’t care if people find this ridiculous, this is how I roll. R sings along to Hip Hop Hooray and tells me I Need a Dollar. Sometimes this throws me off a little, but then I convince myself that I’m doing her a huge favor by giving her the best musical education possible…
Let’s be honest: I can’t take kiddie bop. It makes me want to stab myself in the ear repeatedly. Since I already have a bit of a road anger problem, music that makes me hate life is just not a good idea. Sometimes, R gets to listen to some Jack Johnson (whom she calls Curious George) but that’s only because I bought that album years ago and it’s pretty good.
Judge all you want- when we’re all in the car together we have a super fun time. A and I don’t mind singing along to Baby Got Back while making whipping motions and dancing around in our seats (ok, maybe that’s just me… But Ross and Rachel did it on Friends, so it must fine) R and E both know that sometimes, you just have to bring Sexy Back.
For those of you who are shocked and horrified, I assure you that I don’t listen to the really inappropriate stuff with the kids. A song like Nine Inch Nails’ Closer (please only read the lyrics if profanity and such don’t make you cry) makes even me a little uncomfortable around young ears. However, overall, I am doing something slightly inappropriate and a lot of you will be shaking your heads at me now. I’m fine with that- after all, nobody’s perfect (or so I tell myself…)


Disclaimer: Contrary to what some people have gathered from this post, I do not literally drive while drinking gin and juice with the kids in the car. It's just the lyrics of an awesome song. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I liked you before this post, but now I'm pretty sure I love you. You mentioned songs from my era! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete